Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Next…

Did you do your home work? In today’s economy, few companies are hiring. However, there are companies hiring. If you did your home work you found there are a lot of companies hiring. You also saw their advertised positions.  Understand that those are just the advertised positions, many of those companies have un-advertised or in-house positions as well. To get to those positions, you have to have the right marketing materials and do a lot of homework. It can take me up to two months to find out about inside positions in a company, but I can do it. I could give you a description and lessons on how to do it (and if enough people request it, I might consider doing a seminar or something).What I can tell you quickly is get on to as many of the professional and personal networking websites as you can. Build a neat and clean profile and connect with as many people in your industry as you can. It is important that you keep a tight grip on your profile, it is your ad to the hiring managers. That is the 10 cent version of one of the marketing tools I use, I have many more methods I use to market myself and have taught some of my friends.

Wait a minute, marketing, networking, ads; that sounds a lot like sales, Mike! I’m not in sales, I don’t want to be in sales!

Guess what, you are now. Looking for a job is one of the toughest sales jobs in the world. I’ve worked both sides of the coin, hiring manager and recruiter.  Sales, sales, and more sales. It’s all sales. Understand that it is sales and you are selling your skills and experience. Trust me, it’s not so bad. really.

BTW, how current is your resume and how well does it represent you?

Hmmmmmmmmm…

No comments:

Post a Comment